I made this Chocolate Fudge Cake for a Birthday during lock down. More and more I am enjoying making tiered cakes and getting the hang of them again. I especially loved making this one as it had been a while since I had the opportunity to make a big cake (that I didn’t have to try eat by myself!) This recipe of a classic celebration cake is to die for, and tastes amazing!
For this cake I ordered a cake topper from amazon to put on the top. I love these toppers which are simple but the contrast of the gold against the cake is really effective! I used copious amounts of Milky Way buttons, Malteasers and Ministrels to decorate the cake along with different types of sprinkles you can get in the supermarket. You can use whatever you like, just buy your favourite chocolate to make the fudge cake the cake of your dreams!
The best tips I can give for ANY layered cake is to make sure the cake is completely cool before you start adding icing, otherwise it can be a disaster. I would try levelling off both tiers as well for the cake to be as aesthetically pleasing as possible. Finally, to add to the finish I bought a cake board which again just gives the cake the finishing touches.
Recipe is adapted and inspired by Jane’s Patisserie and Humming Bird Bakery
- 225g Dark Chocolate (at least 70% Cocoa)
- 225g Margerine
- 1 Tablespoon of Instant Coffee Granules
- 175g Plain Flour
- 25g Cocoa Powder
- 1 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 200g Golden Caster Sugar
- 200g Light Brown Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 75ml Whole Milk
- 480g Icing Sugar
- 160g Margerine
- 65g Cocoa Powder
- 65ml Whole Milk
Chocolate to decoration (I used around 3-4 share bags worth) and sprinkles
- Preheat the oven 160 degrees, then line and grease two 20cm cake tins
- In a pyrex bowl melt the dark chocolate and margarine in the microwave by blasting it for 30 seconds at a time then stirring until smooth.
- In a jug stir the coffee granules with 125ml of Boiling water until dissolved. Add this in with the melted chocolate and stir
- In a seperate large bowl add the flour, baking powder, bicarbondate of soda, and the sugars and stir.
- In a small jug or bowl best the eggs and milk together. Then, add the egg mix and melted chocolate mix into the dry ingredients and stir until it is smooth
- Pour the cake batter evenly between the two cake tins and bake for 33-40 mins. You will know its done when the cake springs back when you touch it or when you insert a skewer it comes out clean.
- Leave the cakes to cool on a wire rack
- To make the icing, sieve the cocoa powder and icing sugar into a bowl. Add the butter and beat using a handheld electric whisk. Add the milk and beat to loosen it slightly.
- Once the cake is full cooled level off the tops. Then smear buttercream onto your surface whether its a plate, cakestand or cake board and place on tier on (this prevents it from slipping round)
- Smother buttercream into the top of the first tier until you get a thick layer. Place the second tier on top and add a thick layer of buttercream onto the top.
- Decorate how you wish with lots of chocolate! I used 2 bags of Malteasers, 1/2 bag of Ministrels and 1/2 bag of Milky Way Buttons