One of my favourite treats is bakewell tarts! I love anything with an almond flavour. To relieve my craving without having to make full bakewell tarts I found a fab recipe for Bakwell flapjacks. These are so easy to make using really simple ingredients as well. It was mostly just mixing everything into one bowl and cooking in the oven. The flapjack is topped with white chocolate which was a great addition too!
If you’re a Cherry Bakewell fan like me, you’ll love these sticky flapjacks!
Sometimes I find flapjacks really boring but these were easily the best ones I’ve had! They’re nice and sticky which avoids them being too dry and have a jammy centre, which again, avoids dryness. The sweetness of the flapjack with a topping of smooth, creamy, white chocolate tastes fab. Who knew a touch of almond extract and some jam could completely transform a flapjack?
Also almond extract may make you panic but its easy to buy in large supermarkets (I definietly know Sainsbury’s do it!) it’ll be in the baking isle where the vanilla extract is.
Recipe adapted and inspired by Donna Dundas
- 300g Oats
- 90g Plain Flour
- 75g Ground Almonds
- 300g Butter
- 3 Teaspoons of Vanilla Extract]
- 6 Tablespoons of Golden Syrup
- 6 Tablespoons of Cherry Jam
- 50g White Chocolate
- Preheat the oven 180 degrees and line a baking tin that’s roughly 20cmx20cm with baking paper
- In a large bowl mix the oats, flour, and ground almonds together
- Melt the butter in the microwave and add to the bowl of oats with the golden syrup and almond extract. Mix well until well incorperated.
- Pour half the mix into the baking tin. Flatten it down and pack it in using the back of a metal spoon.
- Once the oats cover the tin and are levelled spread the jam across the oats.
- Starting from the edges/around the outside pour in the remaining oats and flatten down again until the jam is covered
- Bake in the oven for 25 mins- the oats will be browning
- Leave to cool in the tin
- Melt the white chocolate by breaking up into chunks into a pyrex bowl. Melt in the microwave in 30 seconds blasts ensuring you stir after the end of every 30 seconds.
- Once the chocolate is melted drizzle it over the flapjack (I dip a teaspoon into the chocolate and flick it over the flapjack)
- Leave the chocolate to set before cutting into squares