With Autumn in full spring I really wanted to do another bake with Apples this year. I did do one a couple of years ago when I first started this blog for an Apple Crumble Cake. If you fancy trying that here’s the link! Anyway, I found this recipe for a really simple cake which just requires a quick mix of ingredients and a 30 min bake. The cake is a vanilla sponge with apple pieces finished with a sugary cinnamon syrup for the top.
This recipe is so quick and easy yet so delicious! It’s a moist sponge with hints of apple throughout, with some cinnamon syrup incorporated and sat at the top. It tastes even better warm and would be heavenly with some cream as well. This cake was a real treat on cold Sunday afternoon. No need for an electric mixer or any fancy equipment or ingredients (I actually had most in the cupboard already) And any apples can be used for this- I used Gala Apples!
So if you want a quick and easy Autumnal bake this is definitely the cake for you!
Recipe adapted and inspired by Sweetest Menu
- 210g Of Plain Flour
- 2 Teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1 Large Apple Peeled, Cored and Cut into Cube (I used a Gala Apple)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 120ml Vegetable Oil (I used Sunflower)
- 120ml of Greek or Plain Yogurt
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons of Butter
- Preheat the oven 180 degrees then grease and line a 7 or 8 inch cake tin
- In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate and apple
- In a separate bowl or jug whisk together the oil, eggs, vanilla extract, and yogurt together until well mixed
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon. As soon as its combined stop mixing
- Spoon the batter into the cake tin and spread out using the back of a spoon
- In a small bowl make the cinnamon topping by first melting the butter then stirring in the cinnamon and sugar.
- Pour the cinnamon topping on top of the batter trying to evenly distribute- I used a spoon to do this so I could control where it went!
- Bake the cake for 25-30 mins in the oven until the cake is golden, and when you put a skewer through it comes out clean
- Leave to cool on a wire rack then enjoy!