Sometimes I can be in the mood to bake but really not in the mood with too much hassle and cleaning up. This recipe is not only delicious and a little different to your traditional tray bakes but only requires one bowl to mix it up in- the dream for anyone who hates washing up as much as I do! One bowl also makes this sooo easy to bake as well so really, there are no excuses!
One of my utter favourite things is custard. I could eat it cold, hot, out the tin, on a dessert etc etc. When I saw this traybake I couldn’t resist trying to mix one of my favourite foods with delicious fruit.
The bake is as I said, so easy as it only required you mixing all your ingredients into a bowl, scattering some custard, fruits and nut and baking it. The tray bake also looks very pretty for something so easy and simple.
The sponge base is a light vanilla cake made with ground almonds. The batter is then topped with raspberries, dollops of custard and flaked almonds to pack it full of flavour. The sweetness and creaminess of the custard balances out the zingy raspberries, the match is delicious!
Recipe inspired by Olive Magazine
- 250g Margarine or Butter
- 250g Ready Made Long Life Custard
- 250g of Golden Caster Sugar
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 300g self Raising Flour
- 50 Ground Almonds
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 250g Fresh Raspberries
- 2 Tablespoons of Flaked Almonds
- Preheat the oven 180 degrees then grease and line a 20cmx30cm deep tin
- In a bowl cream together the butter, 150g of the custard and all of the sugar using a handheld electric whisk. Beat until light and fluffy
- Then beat in the eggs one at a time and add the vanilla extract
- Fold in the flour, ground almonds, and baking powder until fully combined
- Pour the batter into the tin and level out using a back of a metal spoon
- Scatter the raspberries on top of the batter and dollop teaspoons of the remaining custard. Then, sprinkle on the flaked almonds
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 mins, to tell it is baked you can insert a skewer and no batter will show when you take it out.
- Leave to fully cool in the tray before cutting
- Cut into squares and serve with a cuppa!