Finally, January is over! Like most people, I jumped on the health bandwagon after eating my bodyweight over Christmas. Unfortunately, that did mean putting a pause on my hobby and blog for a while whilst I threw myself into healthy eating. But, you’ve got to treat yourself sometimes! What better way to kick start the year than with chocolate! In keeping with the wellbeing theme too, these Chocolate Mousse pots are still reasonable in terms of calories and sugar- it’s a win, win! Perfect for a weekend treat or Valentines!
As I said, these are the perfect treat to have on a weekend or special occasion whilst still maintaining a good diet. These mousse pots are about 222 calories which considering what other desserts can be like isn’t too bad at all! By using a high % cocoa chocolate, the sugar stays pretty low too. Overall, these are great to satisfy the chocolate cravings without completely going off the rails! The dark chocolate also gives the mousse a luxurious taste, making the creamy dessert taste incredibly rich!
These mousses only need to be made 2 hours in advance- this allows them to set. This is pretty good timing meaning you can get on with your day. They take no time at all to make but are still impressive for any guests!
I used tea cups to make the mousse’s aesthetically pleasing, however, you can still use ramekins or even small juice glasses. Or, if you want something different you could put them into shot glasses, making mini desserts. They would also be great served with some homemade biscuits too to dip in or a small serving of cream.
The recipe was adapted from Good Food
(Makes 6 Mousses)
- 170g Dark Chocolate 70% Cocoa
- 2 Tablespoons of Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tablespoon of Coffee Granules (don’t worry if you don’t have this!)
- A teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 4 Egg Whites
- 2 Tablespoons of Golden Caster Sugar (brown works too)
- 100g Full Fat Greek Yoghurt
- Fruit to decorate
- Cut the chocolate up into small pieces and place in a large pyrex bowl. Melt the chocolate by placing the pyrex bowl over a saucepan of boiling water.
- Meanwhile, mix the cocoa powder, coffee granules and vanilla extract with 4 tablespoons of cold water. Pour this over the chocolate as its melting. Add two tablespoons of boiling water.
- Keep stirring the chocolate until it’s melted then take off the saucepan, leaving to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl whisk, the egg whites using a hand-held electric whisk until it forms soft peaks. Add the sugar and beat again until glossy.
- Now the chocolate has cooled slightly, fold in the greek yoghurt until evenly distributed.
- Add one-third of the egg whites to the chocolate and gently fold in with a metal spoon. Slowly add the remainder and fold- mix until incorporated but do not over mix it.
- Pour into your ramekins or cups and then leave to set for at least 2 hours, or you can leave them overnight.
- I cut up some strawberries and shaped into hearts to decorate, then dusted some icing sugar, however, it is completely up to you how you finish this off!