Recently I’ve really enjoyed making cupcakes and with little to do this weekend, I thought I’d bake again. I’ve always wanted to give biscuit themed cupcakes a go. I always think they look aesthetically god every time! I chose Bourbon biscuit as I have a full proof chocolate cupcakes recipe and I know my team at work love a Bourbon!
One of the good things with the recipe is that it is great who is still getting to grips with piping. As you bury half a biscuit into the middle of each cake, any messy piping work is pretty much covered up or give a distraction away from it. The bourbon simple adds to the chocolate flavour so, is a chocolate lovers dream!
These are a perfect treat with a cup of tea on the weekend and look the part too!
Recipe inspired by Humming Bird Bakery with some additions from myself.
- 100g Plain Flour
- 20g Cocoa Powder
- 140g Caster Sugar
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 40g Margarine or Butter
- 120ml Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1 A teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 300g Icing Sugar
- 100g Margarine
- 40g Cocoa Powder
- 40ml Milk
- 1 Packet of Bourbons
- Preheat the oven 170 degrees and place cupcakes cases in a muffin tray.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa and butter today using an electric handheld whisk.
- In a jug whisk together the milk, egg and vanilla essence.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with the electric whisk.
- Chop up the chocolate into small chunks and mix in using a wooden spoon
- Spoon the mixture into the cases until evenly distributed and bake for 17-20 mins. You will know they are done as when you touch them they will bounce back.
- To make the icing whisk the icing sugar, margarine and cocoa powder together. Add the milk slowly and keep beating to loosen it up.
- Pipe the icing onto the cakes when fully cooled. Break a bourbon in half and press into the middle of the icing.