If you haven’t manage to guess already from previous bakes, I love using pecans in baking. This week is yet another delicious treat packed full of pecans with a gooey, sweet filling and biscuity type base. These are hands down one of my favourite bakes to date. I’ve had to hold back on scoffing them down all weekend! If I could recommend anyone to give any of my recipes ago, this is definitely one!
Pecan Tassies are an American bake which basically resembles a mini pecan pie. Pecan Pies are a very popular dessert in America especially the festive season. This recipe, however, is for tassie bars so the finished product looks a little different from a pie. But the mix of flavours and textures of a pecan pie are still within it. The base is biscuity but also tastes a little like pastry as well, so is still a little springy. Finally, the best bit, the filling is gooey and soft full of crunchy pecans. It tastes very similar to the filling of a pecan pastry, but, even better!
One care point is to leave the bake to set for a good few hours before attempting to cut it and eat it. As there is so much sugar in the filling, it stays hot for a very long time. So, don’t get tempted to dig in as soon as the tray is out the oven (as tempting as it always is) as you’ll be left with a very sore tongue! The wait is worth it in the end, I promise.
These treat size bars are beautiful with a cup of coffee. As I said they’re one of my favourite bakes so if you’re having friends over or fancy knocking something delicious up over the weekend these will not disappoint.
Recipe inspired by my favourites, The Humming Bird Bakery.
- 250g Plain Flour
- 120f Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 200 Margarine/Butter (MAKE SURE ITS COLD!)
- 60g Chopped Pecans (to a reasonably small size)
- 120g Dark Brown Sugar
- 50g Plain Flour
- 160g Golden Syrup
- 160g treacle
- 4 Large Eggs
- 2 Teaspoons of Vanilla Extract
- 120g Roughly Chopped Pecans.
I used a 20cmx30cm tray which left me with small amounts left over but the recipe is for a tray 23x32cm if you have one.
- Grease and line the baking tray using parchment and margarine/butter and preheat the oven at 170 degrees.
- First of all in a bowl mix the flour, sugar and baking powder together.
- Add the butter or margarine in small chunks to the dry ingredients. Rub all the mix together using your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs and then mix in the pecans.
- Pour the based mixture into your tray and push it down til it evens out.
- Place in the oven to bake for 15 mins. When you take it out leave it to cool for at least 5-10 mins before placing the filling on the top.
- To make the filling mix the brown sugar and flour together.
- Then using a handheld electric whisk whizz in the treacle, syrup, eggs and vanilla extract until well incorporated
- Pour the filling on top of your base then sprinkle all your pecans over it, they will sink in and sit on the top- this is what you want!
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins until the filling looks set. Then leave to cool for a minimum of 2 hours. If you try to cut or eat them before this they will still be way too hot.