Last weekend I went to London with a few of the girls for food, drinks, more food, and even more drinks. We went to a lovely little cake shop called Crumbs and Doilies (review will be up next week). From just stepping into the shop and admiring all the beautifully decorate cupcakes I had a little bit of inspiration to do cupcakes. Once I took home the cakes from the shop and tried them by inspiration grew! The Nutella Cupcakes I had from there was amazing. So good that I wanted more. So I decided that would be this weeks bake.
I love Nutella. I remember when I was really small when I used to make just plain victoria sponge cake I would use Nutella on the top or the middle. A cheat way out, but I was only small. I’m surprised I haven’t even incorporated it yet into my baking! I’m a massive fan, so much so that my Mum and Dad bought me back a Kg pot from France….and it was gone with 2 months…oops.
The Nutella is in the buttercream within the recipe which gives it a gorgeous colour, one that is quite different to usual chocolate buttercream. There are hazelnuts within the cakes too, which incorporated myself as I thought it would give it a little something extra. If you want to go even more extra, add a Freoro Roche on to the top of the icing, or a Kinder Bueno square. Personally, I wanted to keep it simple but as always, it’s all down to you and your own creativity.
Apologies as well, I completely forgot to take pictures whilst baking! The recipe was inspired by Crumbs and Doilies as well as What Jessica Baked Next.
- 120g Plain Flour
- 225g Caster or Granulated Sugar
- 35g Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Bicarbonate Soda
- 2 Large Eggs
- 120g Margarine or Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 120ml Freshly Brewed Coffee
- 75g Hazelnuts
- 150g Margarine
- 300g Icing Sugar
- 200g Nutella or Hazelnut Spread of your choice
- 4 Tablespoons Milk
Your choice of decoration
- Preheat the oven 180 degrees and place 12 cupcakes cases into a muffin tray
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, and sift the cocoa in
- Melt the butter in a jug
- Whisk the eggs into the melted butter
- Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and beat using an electric mixer
- Add half of your brewed coffee and beat in well. Then add the other half.
- Pulse the hazelnuts in a food processor til they are very finely chopped
- Add these in and stir
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 mins
- Whilst the cakes are baking use a hand-held mixer beat the sugar and butter together until fluffy. Make sure you sift the icing sugar in!
- Add in the Nutella and milk and beat again.
- Put the icing in the fridge until ready to use.
- Once the cakes are fully cooled pipe or spoon your icing onto your cakes and top with your decoration.