Okay so it isn’t quite Valentines yet but I like to plan in advance. I’m also away before and during Valentines so thought I would do a special post this week. I decided to adapt oreo brownies for the Valentines bake as it is possibly one of the only things I have baked and seen my boyfriend eat. (love you really) It wouldn’t make much sense if I made something he didn’t like. They’re honestly to die for! If you love chocolate or brownies, they’re amazing! They look pretty cool as well with the Oreos going through the middle and on the top.
This bake can be given as a gift or as a dessert for a Valentine’s meal. You don’t have to cut them into hearts at all if you fancy just giving them as squares. A quick blast in the microwave and some ice cream would be delicious as well. If you’re wanting to do a gift you can buy bags to put them in from Amazon. Personally, I’m hoping my boyfriend will actually take them away and eat them as for once I would have baked something he liked!! I think making food for someone is a great way to show appreciation, as it takes not only money but time and effort to create something for them. That’s why I think this is a great idea. You wouldn’t even have to give it to your other half, perhaps a friend you seriously appreciate and love. Any gift makes anyone smile!
If you don’t fancy Oreos either feel free to put something else through the middle, it will work the same. For example; reece’s cups, bourbons, cookies. Or just make them without any of these and have a plain gooey brownie. Again like many other bakes I do this is just a base recipe, you can make it what you like! It’s an easy recipe and should only take you around an hour and a half to make and bake.
If you want something different as a gift idea have a look at my Chocolate truffle recipe I did around Christmas time! Whatever you end up doing for Valentines I hope it’s fun, and you feel appreciated too! Remeber, the way to someone’s heart is often through their stomach!!
Recipe inspired by GoGoGourmet and Marshasbakingaddiction.
- 140g Margarine or Butter
- 300g Caster Sugar
- 75g Cocoa Powder
- Vanilla Extract
- 2 Large Eggs
- 60g Plain Flour
- 90g Dark Chocolate
- 2 Packets of Oreos
- Preheat the oven at 1980 degrees. Line and grease a 8X8 inch square tin with baking paper
- In a large saucepan put the butter, sugar and cocoa powder over a heat. Keep stirring until it turns from a paste into a melted liquid mix.
- Pour this into a large bowl and beat in the eggs one at a time
- Fold in the flour
- Melt the chocolate in a saucepan and add to the bowl adding a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Pour half this batter into the tin. Then evenly line up oreos either putting 4X4 or 3X3 depending how much you want in the middle!
- Pour the other half of the batter over the top, you may have to use a spoon to even out the mix and make sure the oreos are covered.
- In a freezer bag crush the remainder of the oreosby bashing them with a rolling pin. Creating a crumb like consistnecy with a few chunks in.
- Sprinkle this on top of the cake tin.
- Bake for 25-30 mins until you can put a skewer in and it comes out pretty much clear- a little is OK as it will make sure the brownies are gooey!
- Leave to cool. Take the brownie out and either cut into squares or using a cookie cutter make hearts.